Friday, August 13, 2010

Mary Cancervive

So I think most of you that read this probably already know, but my mom's cancer as metastasized to the liver, lungs, and brain. It may be in a few other areas, but we will find out today if it has moved to the larynx, trachea, and lymph nodes in the upper part of her chest. She will probably have more tests on her lower abdomen soon to find if it has gone to the kidney, as well as test to see if it has spread to her bone marrow. What was so surprising about it is that just last monday she had her "last test" and they cleared her for 1 full year. Then on Saturday she started having a pain in her midsection, so went to the ER sunday morning. That is when they found it had spread. (So yes, she was "cured" for about a whole 5 days) It is in Stage 4, which is the most advanced stage of Cancer. The way I see it, we could have found out about it now, and try to treat it, or we could have not known about it until it was too late. (Even with treatment, she is not expected to live much past a year.) I would much rather know its coming, so that all of us can prepare, and she can get the things done that are most important to her. So many of us go through life wasting away the time doing things that are not what is most important. It is a good time for us to reevaluate what we do, and prioritize what is most important.

Thanks to everybody for the prayers and the support. Many of you have offered to help, and I will let you know what we need when we need it. Right now, we would like to get a collection of favorite memories of my mom. What do you think of when you think of her? I know one friend talked about my mom getting pulled over on the way home from soccer practice. What is one of your favorite memories?

3 comments:

Deserae Johnson said...

You know that reminds me of the time when she got pulled over and kept telling heather and me to put our seat belts on and stay quiet. i love your mom so much.

sam and kyrsten said...

i want to let you guys know how sorry i am about this. my dad just passed away from stage 4 colon cancer 3 weeks ago. cancer is a horrible thing but how lucky we all are to know that families can be together forever. even though the doctors say she might not live past a year... they gave my dad 6 months and he lasted 4 years. just keep having faith! preparing is difficult but what a huge blessing to be able to understand what is coming and to be a little more prepared. it wont be easy still, but you will all be ok because of the spirit and the blessings you have been promised. my prayers are with all of your family at this time. again i am so sorry you have to go through this!

Cheri said...

I'm so sorry! I had no idea and this just makes me so sad. My prayers are with you and your family.

Your Way To Financial Freedom