Thursday, August 7, 2008

I am turning into my Mother...

For those of you who don't know my mother, Andrea, I will let you in on what I am becoming. My Mom has her Associates Degree in Accounting/Bookkeeping, but also has always been very proficient in grammar and proof-reading. While living at home as a teenager I would always hear her correct my brother, "Mike and I", instead of "me and Mike". Or if I answered the phone, "this is her", she would quietly correct me, "this is she". I could go on and on for hours on proper grammar, but I know I would lose your interest.
For the past three and a half months we have been living with the Standlee family. Their daughter, Sariah, is only five years old and has the grammar of...well...a five year old. I constantly find myself correcting her. Hearing phrases like, " he takded that away", "her brought this for me" and "I gotted a new toy" are making me cringe. Of course her mom and I correct her as much as possible, but there are just too many hours in the day to do that. It makes me realize how much I appreciate the (for lack of a better word) Nagging my Mom did in order to save her ears and to help me at least sound more intelligent.

Thanks Mom!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love it.... I find myself doing the same thing. My Nana would correct us like that all of the time, and now I find myself doing that as well. I guess it is a good habit to have, right?! :)

Mary said...

ok. so I can post here i am just blog illiterate. Sounds like you are on the right track to me!

Your Way To Financial Freedom